New leaders take up their posts
Laos' new President Bounnhang Vorachit ( left ) and former President Choummaly Sayasone wave during the inaugural session of the National Assembly's 8th Legislature yesterday. -- Photo Khamphan
April 21, 2016
National Assembly's (NA) 8th Legislature began its four-day inaugural
session yesterday with members reelecting Ms Pany Yathotou to a second
term as the Assembly's President and electing Party Secretary General Mr
Bounnhang Vorachit as the head of state.
Pany, who was President of the NA's previous legislature, received
votes from almost all Assembly members present at the session.Referring
to her suitability for the post, members said she was a longstanding
and accomplished female member of the Assembly and possessed the
necessary knowledge, skills and experience to lead the legislative body.
She was also able to make clearcut decisions on the issues submitted
for her consideration.Members
also spoke of their pride that the country could elect a woman from an
ethnic group to one of the Party's highest leadership positions. This
demonstrated that the National Assembly was the highest state body and a
true representative of the people.During
their first session, National Assembly members reelected the vice
president of the Seventh Legislature, Mr Somphanh Phengkhammy. Also
elected as vice presidents were Lieutenant General Sengnuan Sayalath, Dr
Bounpone Bouttanavong, and Ms Sisay Leudethmounsone.Party
Secretary General Mr Bounnhang Vorachit was elected as President of the
Lao PDR, and Permanent Member of the Party Central Committee
Secretariat Mr Phankham Viphavanh was elected Vice President, after they
were nominated by the NA's Standing Committee.Mr
Bounnhang and Mr Phankham have been active participants in the lengthy
revolution process and have years of experience in executive positions.Mr
Bounnhang was a revolutionary activist for many years. He was formerly a
commander in the Lao People's Army, provincial Party Secretary and
Governor, minister, deputy prime minister, and Vice President.The
National Assembly also approved the election of Mr Thongloun Sisoulith
as Prime Minister, and Dr Bounthong Chitmany, Dr Sonexay Siphandone, and
Mr Somdy Duangdy as Deputy Prime Ministers.Mr
Thongloun was previously Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign
Affairs. Dr Bounthong is also Head of the Party and Government
Inspection Authority and the Anti-Corruption Organisation. Mr Somdy is
also the Minister of Finance.In
addition, Mr Khamsane Souvong and Mr Khamphanh Sitthidampha were
reelected as President and Head of Office of the Supreme People's
Prosecutor and President of the Supreme People's Court respectively.The structure of the new government remains unchanged and comprises 18 ministries and three ministry-equivalent bodies.
Ministry heads are as follows:
1. Lieutenant General Chansamone Chanyalath is Minister of National Defence.
2. Major General Somkeo Silavong is Minister of Public Security.
3. Mr Khammanh Sounvileuth is Minister of Home Affairs.
4. Mr Chaleun Yiapaoher is Minister to the Prime Minister's Office.
5. Mr Sommad Pholsena is Minister of Natural Resources and Environment.
6. Prof. Dr Bosengkham Vongdara is Minister of Information, Culture and Tourism.
7. Dr Lien Thikeo is Minister of Agriculture and Forestry.
8. Mr Xaysi Santivong is Minister of Justice.
9. Dr Khampheng Saysompheng is Minister of Labour and Social Welfare.
10. Mr Khammeung Phongthady is Minister and Head of the Presidential Office.
11. Dr Khammany Inthirath is Minister of Energy and Mines.
12. Ms Khemmani Pholsena is Minister of Industry and Commerce.
13. Prof. Dr Boviengkham Vongdara is Minister of Science and Technology.
14. Mr Saleumxay Kommasith is Minister of Foreign Affairs.
15. Ms Sengdeuan Lachanthaboun is Minister of Education and Sports.
16. Mr SomphaoPhaysith is Governor of the Bank of the Lao PDR.
17. Mr Thansamay Kommasith is Minister of Posts and Telecommunications.
18. Dr Bounchanh Sinthavong is Minister of Public Works and Transport.
19. Dr Phet Phomphiphak is Minister and Head of the Prime Minister's Office.
20. Dr Souphanh Keomixay is Minister of Planning and Investment.
21. Dr Bounkong Sihavong is Minister of Health.
22. Mr Bounkeuth Sangsomsak is Minister to the Prime Minister's Office.
23. Mr Alounkeo Kittikhoun is Minister to the Prime Minister's Office.
24. Dr Souvanpheng Bouphanouvong is Minister to the Prime Minister's Office.
The National Assembly's Eighth Legislature has eight committees and a secretariat.
1. Mr Saithong Keoduangdy is President of the Law Committee.
2. Mr Bounpone Sisoulath is President of the Economics, Technology and Environment Committee.
3. Dr Vilayvong Bouddakham is President of the Finance, Planning and Audit Committee.
4. Dr Somphou Duangsavanh is President of the Cultural-Social Committee.
5. Ms Buaphanh Likaiya is President of the Committee of Ethnicity.6. Dr Buakham Thipphavong is President of the Justice Committee.
7. Khamsouk Vi-inthavong is President of the National Defence and Public Security Committee.8. Prof. Dr Eksavang Vongvichit is President of the Foreign Affairs Committee.
9. Ms Suansavanh Vignaket is Head of the Secretariat.